Experienced Lighting Designer
Brilliant Lighting is an established business with an enviable reputation for creating stunning lighting schemes for prestigious new build and historic houses. Working predominantly for private individuals, we are focused on the high end residential market. We design, specify, supply and commission both the lighting and the lighting control systems, and are an integral part of a project team throughout a build. Creative design, technical excellence, good team skills and great attention to detail are key.
We’re based in beautiful North Yorkshire and we work across the UK and abroad.
With a growing turnover – and huge potential for further growth – we are seeking an experienced and dynamic lighting designer to help grow and shape the business. The role will be wide ranging but will include:
- In conjunction with a Partner, leading initial client meetings, developing subsequent project proposal documents and closing the sale.
- Leading the lighting design for a number of projects, and, together with a Project Manager, managing relationships with the client, suppliers and the onsite project team to ensure that the designs are executed to the highest standard.
- Developing plans in AutoCAD, and where required in Relux or Dialux.
- Helping to ensure that the firm stays abreast of industry product, technical and regulatory developments.
- Designing, specifying, and, to a lesser extent, commissioning lighting control systems. We use Lutron (predominantly Homeworks) and Rako. Prior experience of these systems is useful but not essential.
- Contributing to our wider marketing efforts, eg; developing articles, blogs, etc.
Core requirements are:
- A proven track record of creative lighting design, superbly executed.
- Ideally extensive experience of high end residential lighting or similar sectors, eg; hotel or restaurant lighting. A sense of how a home should be lit (rather than a commercial building) is important. Whilst we work in homes on a grand scale, they are still homes.
- Excellent knowledge of lighting technology, and how to achieve particular light levels and lighting effects.
- Excellent AutoCAD and good Relux or Dialux skills. Experience of Revit is a plus as it is likely we will be using this in the future.
- Good electrical knowledge and an understanding of building construction.
- Excellent commercial and financial understanding.
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills.
- Organisational skills, attention to detail and being a ‘completer finisher’ are essential, but you should also know when to apply the 80:20 rule.
- A good memory, a strong work ethic and a desire to learn and get stuck in.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced small team environment – with the ambiguity and variety that that sometimes entails
The role will be based out of our offices in Thirsk, North Yorkshire. Projects are predominantly in the north of England, London and the South East, and occasionally further afield. Whilst long distance travel isn’t an every week occurrence it’s not unusual.
Remuneration is negotiable depending on experience.
How to apply
Please send your CV including qualifications, experience and (if applicable) most recent salary to
Melanie Shaw, Brilliant Lighting, Unit 9, Severfield Close, Thirsk Industrial Park, Thirsk, YO7 3BX.