Brilliant Lighting is an established business with an enviable reputation for creating stunning lighting schemes for prestigious new build and historic houses. Working predominantly for private individuals, we are focused on the high end residential market. We design, specify, supply and commission both the lighting and the lighting control systems, and are an integral part of a project team throughout a build. Creative design, technical excellence, good team skills and great attention to detail are key.
We’re based in beautiful North Yorkshire and we work across the UK and abroad.
With a growing turnover – and huge potential for further growth – we are seeking a lighting designer to help grow the business. The role will be wide ranging but will include:
- Developing plans and designs in AutoCAD. Initially a lot of the design concepts will come from more senior designers on the team but we would see the right candidate rapidly growing in confidence in this area
- Using Relux or Dialux to mock up key areas
- Researching and recommending suitable products for a particular project. This requires you to have empathy with the client and their brief, and an understanding architectural and historical styles and references.
- Resolving customer queries
- Liaising with suppliers to resolve technical queries, and liaising with the onsite electrical and construction teams to ensure that designs are installed correctly
- Liaising with other relevant sub-contractors on the job, eg; joiners, cabinet makers, kitchen and bathroom companies etc, to ensure that designs and fittings are beautifully integrated.
- Keeping accurate records of project related costs
- Designing, specifying, and, to a lesser extent, commissioning lighting control systems. We use Lutron (predominantly Homeworks) and Rako. Prior experience of these systems is useful but not essential.
Core requirements are:
- Excellent AutoCAD skills. Experience of Revit is a plus as it is likely we will be using this in the future.
- Competence in 3D modeling, graphics and other related software packages are an advantage.
- A strong aesthetic and design sense
- Electrical knowledge and/or understanding of house building and how related trades operate an advantage
- Relux or Dialux skills would be a real plus
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills.
- Organisational skills, attention to detail and being a ‘completer finisher’ are essential, but you should also know when to apply the 80:20 rule.
- A good memory, a strong work ethic and a desire to learn and get stuck in
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced small team environment – with the ambiguity that that sometimes entails
Prior experience of lighting design would be a huge advantage (and if you have this we would shape the role to suit) but we would provide training on the job.
The role will be based out of our offices in Thirsk, North Yorkshire. Projects are generally in the north of England but may be in the South or abroad. Remuneration is negotiable depending on experience.
How to apply
Please send your CV including qualifications, experience and (if applicable) most recent salary to
Melanie Shaw, Brilliant Lighting, Unit 9, Severfield Close, Thirsk Industrial Park, Thirsk, YO7 3BX.